Dressing for a Holiday Party
You may have already been to a holiday party, or at least gotten an invitation, and you’re wondering what to wear. This is the height of the dining and entertaining season, so chances are you will be surrounded by many people you want to make a great impression on.
To help you make an informed decision on what to wow your audience with this holiday season, we asked Fashion Consultant and Organizer Erin Love to give some advice about bypassing those Rudolph socks for something more suitable:
1. How should a woman approach a holiday party when it comes to style? If there is no dress code listed, always refer to the invitation for a clue as to what to wear. For instance, does the invitation look formal and did it arrive professionally printed or with fancy calligraphy? If so, your attire should veer toward the formal side. Break out your LBD (little black dress) and fun accessories — sequined cropped jackets, boleros or a sequined scarf as a belt! Was the invitation emailed to you? Then the event is most likely casual. Wear some skinny jeans, knee-high boots, and a cute tunic!
2. Does it go without saying to stay away from holiday sweaters? I do suggest staying away from holiday themed shirts, sweaters, and accessories, such as Santa sweaters or Rudolph socks. They age you, either making you appear older than you are or younger than you are, neither are good! I would also suggest not going overboard with sequins, metallics, and/or the red and green mixture, which are all popular during Christmas and New Year’s.
3. What colors are in for this type of occasion? Of course, you can never go wrong with black, but why not try something new? Navy blue is hot for this season.
4. Is the cocktail dress the go-to dress for holiday parties? Every girl needs a versatile cocktail dress in their wardrobe, but the menswear look — tuxedo pants or jackets — are in this season. A little tip on how to pull the look off like a pro: Notice that I said “or” when mentioning the tuxedo pants and jackets. I don’t recommend wearing them both together because it tends to be a tad to boyish. Instead, choose one and let it be the centerpiece of your outfit. Have fun with it and think outside of the box.
5. How should a woman accessorize for this occasion? Accessorize with color! Color adds interest to any outfit! For instance, if you are wearing a black dress, throw on some red shoes or another fun color. Another tip – pile some sparkly bracelets on both arms.
6. Is there anything a partygoer should know or expect when it comes to dressing for this party? You can usually expect to see someone who is underdressed and someone who is overdressed. Stick to something in between and you’ll be perfect!Tweet